Put this Umami-rich Mushroom & Chickpea Bourguignon by legallyplantbased on your menu! ❤️
RECIPE CHICKPEA Bourguignon (Serves 4)
150g small brown mushrooms, halved
1 large carrot, sliced 1 cm thick
1 large white onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
10 small pearl onions (optional), whole
250 ml vegan red wine
300 ml veggie stock
2 tbsp tomato paste
2 tsp fresh thyme, finely chopped
2 bay leaves
2 tsp dark soy sauce
200 g cooked chickpeas
1 + 1/2 tbsp olive oil
1 tablespoon vegan butter
1/2 tbsp cornstarch + 1 tbsp water (mixed together)
salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
2 tbsp fresh parsley, finely chopped
Serve with: mashed potatoes
– Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a deep pan and fry onion and carrot over medium heat for a minute, add half of the garlic and stir-fry for 10 seconds, then add the tomato paste and stir-fry for another 1-2 minutes or until it becomes a bit darker in color but don’t burn it.
– Add pearl onions, wine, veggie stock, thyme, bay leaves, soy sauce, salt and pepper. Mix well and bring to a boil. Let boil 4-5 minutes, then cover and let simmer on low heat for 20 minutes.
– When 5 minutes of cooking time remains, heat 1/2 tbsp olive oil and the butter in a separate pan. When butter starts to bubble, add mushrooms, season with salt & pepper. Fry mushrooms for around 5 minutes or until slightly golden brown then add to the stew along with the chickpeas.
– Let simmer uncovered 2-3 minutes. Then add the cornstarch slurry while stirring until the sauce has thickened (1-2 minutes).
– Top with fresh parsley before serving with mashed potatoes.